Wonder Block Quilt


This is a set of block patterns designed by Terry Martin in her book, "Wonder Blocks - Stack, Cut, Sew, and Go." They are all made from squares and rectangles - no triangles at all, so they really are easy and fast to cut and stitch together. The book includes 7 block designs and I used them all plus several more that I designed myself using the same sized units that Terry gives in her book.
The biggest challenge for me was knowing when to stop piecing the blocks! This is an addicting design. I used 16 fat quarters and pieced 108 blocks, using 100 of them in this top set 10x10. The blocks are 6 inches square so I now have a nice 60x60" top to quilt. I've decided not to put a border on this top and just quilt it and bind it. Tomorrow I'll decide on a quilting design and hopefully have it finished for the guild meeting on Tuesday night.
My design wall is a bit short for this size quilt. I laid out the first 7 rows on the wall and the last 3 rows were laid out on my quilting machine table. I tried to place the blocks so that I wouldn't have to match seams other than the block seams. I succeded in all but 2 places in the quilt.
This quilt will be a Christmas present for my 12 y/o DD. She loves primary colors so this is a good quilt for her. My youngest has picked out Dick and Jane prints for her quilt. I'll be tackling that one next.
Susan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Log Cabin

Zipper Leader Tutorial - Part 1

Glue Basting